Thursday, October 13, 2011

Choose the Right

Last week, after getting off from my first job, I spent a couple of hours  doing a pest service on a self-storage unit here in Williamsburg.While I was wandering through the rows of indoor units (sprayer in hand),  I reflected on how difficult it can sometimes be to remember which areas have been serviced and which ones still need to be treated….especially if you are in a really big building.

Maybe it’s my old age catching up with me, but my memory just isn’t what it used to be. The bigger the building, the harder it seems to be to remember where you are …and where you have been.

 I have definitely serviced a few large buildings in my time.

  I can remember attempting to tackle a Goliath meat-packing plant on my first day as a pest control technician back in 1996.It didn’t work out so well – I wandered around lost inside for hours. After what seemed like forever, I found my way out of the maze of locker rooms, hallways and production rooms and breathed a sigh of relief as I felt the cool air outside. Looking at the lay of the building from the outside and reworking my bearings, I was shocked at how far I was from where I thought I would be.

 I was way off course!

 Back then, I didn’t know the secret to remembering which way to turn next when navigating a big building without a map to point the way out.Somewhere along the way, I realized that no matter what building you are in, regardless of the size or the complexity of the layout, you can find your way out (as well as remember what you have treated and what you haven’t) if you start making right-hand turns the minute you enter the building. Then, if you keep the wall to your right at all times, you will be able to successfully navigate the building.

Sounds pretty simple, huh?

Just walk in, make a right-hand turn, make sure the wall stays to your right, and keep doing the same until you get out. The problem with this system is exactly what it seems like it would be – it’s too simple. Most days, there is a significant temptation to deviate.

 Most days, unfortunately, I do.

 I have found no success, however, in deviating from this system of right-hand turns. Rather, such deviations almost always mean having to redo a section or two.Or, worse yet, wandering around lost for awhile.

 As I finished up the other day with the last row of the middle units at the self-storage facility and prepared to treat the final round of perimeter doorways, I reflected on the wisdom of trying to stick with right-hand turns, and wondered if the philosophy behind it might have greater value than just navigating pest-guys through buildings.While pondering this thought, I happened to notice a couple of units in a corner to the left that hadn’t been treated yet. I thought about making a quick detour and veering off that way for a minute or two to spray them. It wouldn’t take but a second, and I’d be right back on course making right-hand turns. It would be a piece of cake to find my way back.

 Then I smiled as I remembered the words to a familiar children’s hymn.


“Choose the right, when the choice is put before you,
In the right the Holy Spirit guides;
And its light is forever shining o’er you,
When in the right your heart confides.
Choose the right, Choose the right
Let wisdom mark the way before.
In its light, choose the right
And God will bless you evermore.”

 With one last glance over my shoulder, I turned my back on the left-facing units and continued on my way down the long corridor. Soon enough, I made my way back around and was treating the units in question. This time, there were no doubts about whether or not I had treated the area before.No wandering around trying to get back on track.


 “Choose the right.”

  It’s pretty simple.

 Sounds like good advice for a pest guy.

 My memory isn’t what it used to be, but I don’t think I”ve ever gone wrong choosing right.



No comments:

Post a Comment