Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Breath of Life

Recently, when I was on a flight to New York City, an unexpected experience helped me understand a little better about how we might be more effective in our efforts to bless the lives of those around us.

The insight came when the airline stewardess was explaining the nature of the emergency air bag that would drop down if the aircraft became unstable and started to depressurize. While listening to her instructions, I looked down at the written list of safety procedures, and started when my gaze fell on one particular diagram.

In this picture and the subsequent written explanation, adult airline passengers were instructed that in the event of an aircraft emergency, they were to first make sure that their own air masks were securely in place. Then, only after doing this, they could proceed to concern themselves with strapping on the air masks of their children.

Though the apparent wisdom in the instructions was evident, the whole process seemed to fly in the face of everything I understood about what it means to be a good parent.

In the event of such an urgent emergency, wouldn’t it be unforgivably selfish to spend valuable time putting on your own air mask before worrying about that of your children?

It would certainly seem so.

When you think about the how the laws of nature really work, though, the answer may be ....well....maybe it’s not so selfish.

You see, if the adult were to lose consciousness as a result of air loss, he or she would be totally useless to anyone else (including their children) while lying in a heap on the floor of the careening aircraft.

No one would be there to help the children, and it’s doubtful they would be able to figure out how to help themselves.

But if they were able to get your mask quickly on their face, thus taking care of their own need for oxygen, they would be much better equipped and empowered to help their own children to safety.

In the book of Enos, (found near the beginning of the Book of Mormon), this principle is illustrated wonderfully:  
"Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man -- for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord -- and blessed be the name of my God for it --
And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.
Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
And I said: Lord, how is it done?
And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole."
Enos, through faith in Jesus Christ, received peace to his soul and a remission of sins because of his faith and diligence in seeking Jesus Christ. Many of us might think the story ends here, but there is more:

 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.

And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.And after I, Enos, had heard these words, my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord; and I prayed unto him with many long strugglings for my brethren, the Lamanites."

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Book of Mormon, the Nephites were Enos’ kindred.

The Lamanites were at enmity with Enos and his Nephite brothers.

Enos first applied all of his energy to getting his life on course, and then, after having his own spiritual oxygen replenished, he was able to divert his full, undistracted attention towards heartfelt prayer for both his friends and his enemies.

Here in this book, I believe an eternal pattern is established:
  1. Life brings challenges to all of us
  2. We feel a need for spiritual help in our lives to help us meet these challenges
  3. We approach God in fervent and heartfelt prayer
  4. God sends us spiritual oxygen to meet our needs
  5. We are then in a position to do as the Savior would have us do - lose ourselves in the service of providing spiritual oxygen for others
It has been my experience that this spiritual rejuvenation is not a one time event for any of us.

Rather, it is a daily, even hourly process of keeping a prayer in our hearts so that we are strengthened and healed according to our needs.

So, if you are finding yourself more and more tired, frazzled, and worn out by the vicissitudes of life, don’t despair.

There are oxygen masks available at all hours of the day and night, no matter what aircraft you are traveling on.

You will probably find yours most easily if you take respite in a quiet room in the back of the house and calm your mind long enough to say a quick prayer.

Your husband can survive without dinner for a few minutes.

Your wife can hold onto that list of chores for another couple of moments.

The kids will be ok for a few seconds.

How much damage could they actually do in that time frame? (Don’t answer that.)

When you reemerge, you will be much more able to help those in your care than you were a few moments ago when you were struggling for spiritual air.

Jesus has admonished: "Ask, and you shall receive. Knock, and it shall be opened,"

Prayer will do wonders for the oxygen deprived soul.

A half-hour immersed in a favorite hymn or verse first thing in the morning can be all of the spiritual oxygen you will need to stand up to the challenges of the day.

"I will not leave you comfortless," said Jesus to His disciples. "I will come to you."

Over the course of my life, I have really come to believe that.

I can’t count how many times the Spirit has come to my rescue in overcoming temptations, finding the courage to stand for what is right, or helping me control my temper in a heated moment.

His influence to us in this day and age is just as it was to Adam and Eve thousands of years ago in the Garden of Eden:

The breath of life.

I’m not sure about you, but I don't need to be traveling at 30,000 feet to appreciate the how much better my day goes with a breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment